Subject: Leica M6, M1911 and the male customization urge was Re: [Leica] Couple of E-330 shots -- Naming the Leicapus - Olyca?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Mar 9 20:57:54 2006

Dante,
With any human behavior, the answer is many answers.  Take the Honda Civic.
A young person buys a cheap Civic because that is all they can afford now.
Time passes, more money shows up and suddenly you have new seats and a
fabulous sound system.  More time passes and more money appears, well off
come the heads for newly engineered heads with a new intake and exhaust
system.  With more power you need a better suspension, wheels, tires,
struts....  So what started out as a $4000 econobox becomes a 20,000
personnal statement without the owner really quite understanding just how
much has gone into the vehicle.

Regarding a stock 1911, as a military weapon designed for the purposes
intended you will not find a much better weapon; great pointability,
intuitive use, just about immune to GI abuse.  Downsides would be an
inherent inaccuracy built in to keep the weapon functioning in the field.
So, the first thing to upgrade is with a tighter bushing to increase
repeatability and decrease the abiltiy to work dirty.  The trigger which is
both mass produced and with enough friction that a adrenaline charged GI
won't fire it by accident is also an impediment to accuracy, so you stone
the mechanism to smooth it out and make it more predictable.  The list goes
on.

With a Leica, you add a trigger wind to speed up the wind and decrease the
need to remove the camera from a left eye dominant eye on winding.  You add
a softie to improve slow shutter response.  You consider ostrich because the
#$#$%% covering after forty years or so is flaking off.  You change the
viewfinder because after twenty years Leica finds a way to decrease patch
white out.

Then there are the folks that just want to have it different, not too
different mind you, just not the same as everyone else.

Or to respond to your original question, homo sapiens just likes to tinker,
the better mousetrap and all that.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com