Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica M6, M1911 and the male customization urge
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Fri Mar 10 08:09:15 2006

On 10 Mar 2006 at 13:59, Didier Ludwig wrote:

> Adapting the tool to make it better working or whatever is mostly
> just an excuse... The urge to customize is mostly driven by the
> wish to add a better and more individual look.

There do seem to be a great many men who go to a great deal of
trouble to customize equipment without actually improving it.
Personally I think they're mostly trying to compensate for
shortfalls in other equipment, but what the hell, it's not my
problem.

But the people I know who modify their tools (cars, cameras, AND
firearms) generally attempt to do so without affecting external
appearance in the slightest, or to the absolute minimum required
consistent with the mods.  Personally, I like driving a car or using
a camera that's at its best and is set up the way I like it; I
couldn't care less what other people think.

(My firearms are all dead stock;  they're strictly defensive and
practice is simply a matter of staying familiar with them.  I don't
have the time, the money, or the inclination to shoot targets for fun
any more.)

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com