Subject: [Leica] help, talk me out of buying an R-D1 (an update)
From: ausdlk at swbell.net (David Keenan)
Date: Fri Mar 10 23:02:50 2006

Too late.

I begged this group and others to talk me out of buying one of Epson's
digital rangefinders.

Without success.

Now after about a month of ownership, I must report that I really love this
camera.

No out of box problems with this late (0047xx) serial number unit. It feels
natural in my hands. Solid. Like a Leica.

Image quality is great. Epson RAW software is easy and straight forward to
use.

The "digital film" advance feels a little, um, filmsy. The shutter seriously
lacks the Leica M satisfaction.

But my only real complaint is the lack of a front hand grip that makes it
awkward and hard to carry suspended from my right hand like I carry my M7.
However, my friend Luigi of Leicatime is custom making me one of his R-D1
half-cases with a front grip. I gather that once done, he will offer a
similar case as a standard item.

So, poueeee, on all the naysayers. The R-D1 is a great addition to my camera
stable.

Dave.
--
David Keenan, ausdlk@swbell.net on 3/11/2006