Subject: [Leica] Olympus DSLR
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Mar 18 18:46:00 2006

Douglas,
Your prognostication is too dark.  We are in a period not unlike the
industrial revolution.  What was fine and appropriate custom and behavior on
a feudal freehold became poverty and imprisonment for the workers and
bankruptcy for the monied classes.  For the workers, they had to learn how
to show up on time, the value of innovation, the possibility of risk taking,
the downside of working all the time instead of at planting and harvest.
For the landholder, the value of land decreased as new lands came on line in
the west and as tenants left the feudal system for the factory that for all
the downside, paid in cash and every week as opposed to owing rent to the
landholder.

This time around, risk taking is again of great value, especially in trying
new approaches and non traditional labors.  A true education is of extreme
value, especially one well rounded in math and various sciences and applied
sciences.  I have a feeling that degrees in law and medicine will decrease
in value for differing reasons.  As the world flattens, the competition
increases as everybody in the world gets to play.  An analogy, even though
my great uncle was president of Harvard, at this point in time I should not
have any expectation that I or my offspring would automatically get in to
Harvard.  Bush and Kerry went to Yale, they wouldn't even get into Boston
College today. (There is a smiley face here).

China has tremendous possibilities today, but the increase in the standard
of living means that wages will continue to increase.  First Japan, then
Korea, then Malaysia, then China became the low cost producer.  All to
varying degrees have moved to more value added products and services as
their citizens grew tired of working in the factory and their citizens have
become more educated.

What is the answer?  First as you said, truly educate our children.  Ignore
the fixed interests and demand a very high standard for the public education
system.  Second, be very flexible when someone wants to build a
manufacturing facility in your locale.  Three, allow those who create wealth
to keep and invest it: if you confiscate wealth for the needy, then the
wealthy will take their money and go elsewhere leaving the needy in even
more need.  Four, pour money and attention into whatever is the new way;
twenty years ago it was personal computers, ten years ago it was the web,
five years ago it was 3G networks, now it is ?.  Last, we need to have
compassion for those who are not making it in the brave new world, debtors
prisons did not work and there is no way of knowing if the talents of those
who are left behind today will not be the genius of tommorrow.  Someone who
was a genius at Boolian Algebra in the 1500's didn't have many valuable
skills then.

Really, the only true change today is the speed of the change.  Once, Egypt
ruled the known world.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com