Subject: [Leica] Re: Weatherproof camera
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 08:16:43 2006

Feli writes:

<<I'm looking for a camera, with heavy duty environmental sealing. Of?
course
the lenses should be sealed equally well. I'm excluding the Nikonos?
series
for several reason.>>

Unless the weatherproof camera is the only one you need, I would reconsider
the Nikonos, particularly the older model II and III versions. These metal
cased cameras are extremely rugged and absolutely waterproof. The 35mm f2.8
stock Nikon lens is excellent and the 80mm lens is also quite good.

Twenty years ago I did a travel story about kayaking down the Grand Canyon
section of the Colorado. Rather than risk my Leicas, I used a Nikonos II.
The camera and I spent half the trip submerged in silty river water, but,
since God protects fools and idiots, both of us emerged unscathed. True, the
lens is scale focusing and there is no camera automation but depth of field
and film latitude compensates adequately. Since then I have always kept the
Nikonos in the bottom of my camera bag for use
 in really bad weather. You can pick up a good used Nikonos in any dive shop
for less than $200.

And if you get tired of taking pictures with the camera, you can always use
it to crack walnuts.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder) ([Leica] Re: Weatherproof camera)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Re: Weatherproof camera)