Subject: [Leica] Latest Lympa Log - Leica and Olympus E-330
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sun Mar 19 10:26:55 2006

on 3/19/06 7:57 AM, Chandos Michael Brown at chandos@cox.net wrote:

> I want to weigh in very briefly on the B.D./Olympus thread.
>
> I may have been among the first luggers to follow BD to the Olympus E1 a
> couple of years ago.
>
> We corresponded at considerable length about the Oly body and lens lineup.
>
> BD's assessment of the strengths of weaknesses of the system was utterly
> professional and disinterested, so much so, in fact, that I held fire on
> the
> E1 longer than I'd anticipated.  The availability of the 11-22/2.8-3.5
> ultimately won me over, notwithstanding evident deficiencies of the E1
> body.
>
> On the other hand, I have no regrets making the purchase that I did.
>
> I know for a fact that BD has offered similar counseling to other luggers
> interested in the system over the last couple of years, as have I.
>
> I'm perfectly comfortable with BD's position via Olympus, and I am
> gratified
> that someone whose photographic skill I admire and whose judgment regarding
> gear I trust gets to play with this stuff and report back.
>
> Phil Asky [sic] at DPR does not, in my opinion, bring anything like BD's
> balanced critique to the Olympus E system when it comes to reviewing the
> equipment.
>
> And now I'm off to make some images with my M4P and 50 'cron.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Chandos

And yet B. D. was perfectly willing to slam a Leica product he'd never
tested and hadn't even been released.  As it has turned out the product that
B. D. labeled 'vaporware' has turned out to be a slam-dunk in many ways.  If
he can stick with the facts all's well.  It's his speculation - rarely
labelled as such - that has caused me to discount his opinions.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Latest Lympa Log - Leica and Olympus E-330)