Subject: [Leica] WAS: enough with Olympus NOW HCB
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Mar 20 16:59:42 2006

As I always tell my students - the "decisive moment" isn't the moment you
release the shutter, it's the instant when you see the photographic
possibilities in a situation and start working it. Think of the HCB photo of
the guy jumping the puddle - the decisive moment was that instant when he
saw the puddle through the fence, and realized what he could make of it. The
photo of the bike going past the bottom of the staircase? That would be the
moment he realize that the stair case and the curved street could yield a
visually interesting image - because of course we know that HCB was far more
interested in form, light, shapes and shadow than he was in people and
events. ;-)

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] WAS: enough with Olympus NOW HCB)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] WAS: enough with Olympus NOW HCB)