Subject: [Leica] Lets start a Leica equipment discussion
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Mar 21 09:06:09 2006

Hi, Barney - Of course I don't think that people shouldn't try. But try to
be what, and try what?

Yes, one has to be pretty hopeless in many ways not to be able to take a
"decent" photograph. But I firmly believe that to go much beyond that one
has to have some sort of inborn 'gift,' just as I believe that to be able to
write well, play music well, paint well, one has to have a 'gift.' In
photography, that 'gift' is an 'eye ' - no, I can't define any of this.

No one I know of has HCB's 'eye.' So why try to be HCB? Study his work?
Absolutely. Try to figure out what it is about it that makes it so special?
Sure. Try to emulate that "specialness" in your own work? Sure. But given
that most people think of HCB as a 'photo journalist,' or a documentary
photographer, rather than as an 'art photographer,' how in (*)_*(_ are they
going to even attempt to emulate him? ;-) I know, for example, that many
people think very highly of HCB's portraits; I don't. I think that, as a
body work, they are - with a few very obvious examples - his weakest work.
Why? Because they required directly engaging with people, and I don't think
that people particularly interested old Henri - I think he was far more
interested in people's physical form, and the images he could create using
their forms as compositional elements.

I believe, that rather than trying to emulate our photographic 'heroes' -
and we all have them - we have to get them out of our heads so that we can,
as you so sagely observe, find our own voices.

But beyond all that, I made my first comment in response to what I few as
this nonsensical apparent belief that emulating HCB has something to do with
equipment. Why is that nonsensical? Because if I believe that if he had been
photographing during the last 20 years of his life, rather than drawing -
and what does that tell you? - HCB would have been photographing with the
latest M bodies and the latest Leica glass - and his images would have had a
different look than his earlier images, shot with softer lenses, had.

Best
B. D.