Subject: [Leica] Re: Technology lifetimes
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 18:03:19 2006

<<As to "fad", we know that no digicam has a shelf life of more than 6
months
including Digital Ms. The question that we have to answer is whether or not
there is another technology around the corner; we simply don't know, it may
well
be a fad in that sense. Remember video cassettes and digital video cameras?
and
reel-to-reel...
Peter Dzwig

-------

But that's true of every evolving technology. Remember that film photography
is over 150 years old and in its lifetime four or five image recording
techniques evolved and were discarded. Modern film and cameras are the end
products of this long history and the current pace of change is glacially
slow. My cherished modern Leica M cameras differ only marginally from the M3
I bought more than 50 years ago. The digital camera is only about 10 years
old. Right now it is exploiting the legacy of film cameras, but, if you
haunt the displays at Best Buy, you notice that most new P&S digitals no
longer resemble the film cameras th
at were their forbearers.

But just because a specific technology is no longer state of the art doesn't
mean that it has lost its function. I am typing this on an 8 year old Apple
1400 laptop, at least three technological generations and two operating
systems removed from the current machines. My favorite digital P&S is a
Leica Digilux Zoom, now 6 years old. Both work as well now as they did when
they were new. Both met my needs when I bought them and they still do. When
my needs change, I buy new equipment but I don't discard the old.

Speaking of new equipment, I just bought a 20" Apple MacIntel computer and
it is a real joy to use. The best ever. I can't wait until a native version
of Photoshop is available.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Re: Technology lifetimes)