Subject: [Leica] THe Bay 101 - The Underground Railroad
From: bquinn at sgi.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Sat Mar 25 06:01:30 2006

The Underground Railroad, as I am sure you remember, was not a railroad
at all. It was a network of people and roads who helped slaves escape
from captivity in the south to freedom in the north. It ran through the
Eastern Shore of Maryland near the Blackwater River and though the Great
Briar Swamp. Harriet Tubman was a black woman and an abolitionist who
helped free over three hundred slaves during the Civil War. Her house is
located on the edge of the Great Briar Swamp.

This is a picture of the terrain the slaves would have crossed, and it
is an image of what they would have seen as they journeyed through the
swamps and marshes through Maryland moving toward freedom in
Philadelphia and Delaware. I can't say that this is one of the roads on
which they traveled because I simply don't know. So let's just call this
photo my tribute to the people who traveled to freedom along the
Underground Railroad and to the individuals who helped them.

You can't show what this journey must have been like in a photograph. As
always, comments and criticisms are welcome/

http://www.leica-gallery.net/barney/image-92310.html

Barney

Replies: Reply from vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] THe Bay 101 - The Underground Railroad)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] THe Bay 101 - The Underground Railroad)