Subject: [Leica] new to DMR - newbie question
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Mar 25 09:34:48 2006

Many cameras come with software designed for your OS to download
images from your camera via FireWire. If you were a Mac user I'd have
some suggestions but I think you're a Windows guy aren't you?

I didn't know that PS Elements would handle the high-end cameras and
downloads.

Or you can fork over $40 at Frys or Pardees or Camera Arts and buy a
memory card reader to plug into USB2. The only readers for SD cards
have been USB2, in my experience.

I never connect the camera to the computer - I take the memory card
out - put it into a reader - copy it to disk (it's always faster to do
this by a factor of at least 2x) then copy THOSE files to another
disk. Then return the card to your camera and erase or reformat the
card.

The nice part about this process is you can do it to a laptop in the
field or to one of the great new devices for storing zillions of
images that come from Epson and Jobo (at least).

Adam