Subject: [Leica] new photos, 100% Leica
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sun Mar 26 20:31:24 2006

on 3/26/06 4:45 PM, Rose Scollard at editor@frontenachouse.com wrote:

> As always, most impressive. Question: for the white winged dove you used a
> Leicaflex SL2 with a 560, for the western bluebird, you used an R8 with the
> same lens; do you have a particular strategy for using one camera for one
> type of shot, the other camera for a different one? David Scollard

In these particular cases the choice was easy: the White-winged Dove was
pre-DMR, the Western Bluebird was 'playing with new toy'.

I'm still developing my strategy but I think it will go something like this:

For a given subject, use the DMR first to get a basic photo of the species.
This is because the DMR can be cropped with much better quality than Provia
400F, so I can at least have a 'good' picture of the bird.  The playback
feature and zero variable cost of digital will be handy here.

Once the species is 'in the bag' with the DMR, switch to a Leicaflex with
film, particularly if I can get closer.  I want to use pretty much 100% of
the film area and a given lens will have a wider field of view so if I can't
get substantially closer the film camera won't do me much good.  The
Leicaflex is for the great pictures, because of its viewfinder, and I'll use
whatever film I need to for the light conditions.

Of course if the great picture happens to be on the DMR I won't mind at all
:-)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com