Subject: [Leica] Another 50 for the Jeffster
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu Mar 30 14:24:44 2006

Hello Luis,

It appears that there are two varieties of Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 that have a
Leica LTM mount: (1) lenses that were manufactured in such a mount, and (2)
Contax lenses that were retrofitted for an LTM mount. One ebay seller claims
that you can tell the difference by the letter "m" stamped on the lens...a
lowercase "m" is a Zeiss lens made in Leica mount, and an uppercase "M" is a
Contax Zeiss lens retrofitted to a Leica mount (possibly by the Russians).

John Van Stelten told me that you have to be careful of separation of the
lens elements, but that the lens is not difficult to work on. I got mine
from Ritz Camera. Kevin Camera in Los Angeles has some as well. Check ebay
from time to time, Luis. It seems like I have seen some from Europe on ebay.

Tonight I'll post a few shots that I took with mine yesterday.

Jeffery