Subject: [Leica] Test Photos with Leica IIIf RD and Jupiter 12
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu Mar 30 14:39:31 2006

LUGGERS-

I recently purchased a black Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8 lens from Yuri at Fedka.
I have followed Daniel Ridings' comments on his J12, and was curious to see
if I would encounter any focusing problems.  A kitchen counter check showed
that, at 1 meter, the best focus was obtained about 1 inch in front of the
distance at which focus was set by both the distance scale and the
rangefinder.  In actual use, I have not been able to tell a difference
between focusing with the rangefinder of the IIIf and adjusting the focus
for the one inch error.

To try the lens in my normal environment, I made some photos at the local
airport using rangefinder focus without adjustment.  A sad old DC-3 served
as a willing model for my efforts.  While the lens is not as outstanding as
modern Leica glass, it is clean, works smoothly, and should serve my needs.
A couple of examples are shown below.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/DC_3_Engine_Nacelle