Subject: [Leica] Real patriots don't take pictures
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Fri Mar 31 13:39:16 2006

That's a very good piece. As an atheist I am always moved by the
struggle of someone who has a faith to come to terms with such a
cataclysm. Really very moving.

And also absolutely spot on. Does the US really want to see itself as a
society that considers retribution the sole, not to say legitimate,
motivation for killing a person?

It's not directly connected, but this piece reminds me of something I
read a year or so ago. It was written by a US citizen who had
originally gone to the States as a German POW during the Second World
War. He was so overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness that he found
there, even as an enemy prisoner, that he set about gaining citizenship
as soon as he could at war's end. In his piece, he used his experience
to contrast with the current experience of "enemy prisoners" held by
the US, and thereby how much things had changed in the country he
loves.

P.

PS: I usually abide by my self-imposed moratorium on making comments
about countries or societies that are not my own, but reading this back
it seems I may have broken that rule. If so, I apologise, but it's
meant more as observation than criticism.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com
+44 (0)20 7871 7553