Subject: [Leica] About the 50/2.8 Elmar
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (David Rodgers)
Date: Sun Apr 2 12:00:04 2006

  My Leica M lens collection just grew a little.  I came across a used
50/2.8 Elmar, latest version, that I couldn't pass up.

I'm always a sucker for 50mm lenses.  (Sidebar: I was going to give the
digital equivalent just to be DC -- digitally correct -- but I
overheated my calculator trying to calculate the equivalent for each
sensor size).

I bought the Elmar to compliment my 50/1.4 Summilux (and hopefully a
Noctilux  in the near future).

Here are some observations about the 50/2.8 Elmar based on my  initial use.

The  new Elmar is definately not the same lens as it's ancient
predecessor. I had an old type collapsable Elmar years ago, and the new
version is much improved, especially at close distances. It's also less
prone to flare.

The 50/2.8 Elmar is not a lot more compact  than a Summicron,
particularly if you leave on the lens shade. But it is slightly more
compact, and that does make a difference. With lens shade removed and
the lens collapsed it's not much bigger than a body cap.The Elmar is
also less expensive than a Summicron.

The Elmar takes 39mm filters. That gives me a chance to use the many I
own.  I haven't had a lens that they fit since I sold my 35/2.

The one thing that takes getting used to is expanding the Elmar. During
the first few times of use I took a few shots before I realized that I
hadn't fully extended the lens.

The Elmar is very quick to focus. I can focus it much faster than I can
the Summilux. I can probably focus the Elmar more quickly than any other
M lens I own. I did some street photography yesterday. Even though I'm
way out of practice, I was able to snap things into focus very quickly.

Wide open at f2.8 the Elmar is quite usable. I shot indoors in less that
perfect light using TMax 400 rated at 800. The images were fine. I don't
have access to my scanner right now, but when I do I'll post some samples.

Finally, I think the 50/2.8 Elmar is going to be a very good compliment
to 50 'lux  Some of the time ( in fact make that most of the time) I
like to keep things as simple as possible. That means a compact lens on
a compact body. The Elmar fits that bill, and 50 just happens to be my
favorite focal length. At least when it comes to film :-)

In summary, quick focusing ability, compact size, optical quality, and
low cost are the biggest positives to the 50/2.8 Elmar. Maximum
aperture, and the  fact that expanding the lens takes some getting used
to, and the only negatives. It's a good compliment to one of the big and
fast 50mm lenses, particularly if you have multiple M bodies.

daveR

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] About the 50/2.8 Elmar)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] About the 50/2.8 Elmar)