Subject: [Leica] Color Negative FIlms
From: allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves)
Date: Sun Apr 2 16:41:21 2006

I asked our Kodak rep back when it was discontinued. If you remember,
they didn't announce that the Ektar 25 was going until it was pretty
much  gone, so there was no real opportunity to stock up. I needed
some for a project I was doing then and couldn't find it.

He had several reasons.First, it was supposedly a little
different/more difficult to manufacture than some of the other
films,had a slightly shorter shelf life and was only  made
intermittently, in moderate sized batches.
Second, the demand for ASA25 film was fairly small., even with the
quality of Ektar.
Third, it had a very narrow latitude, much like slide film, and he
said the number of complaints about the film being "off", (when what
was really off was the exposure) was amazing.

With all its problems, they (whoever they are) just decided to let it
die, and he said that Kokak got relatively few complaints or
questions about its disappearance.

I suspect that this is the way a lot of  film products will disappear
in the future- some bean counter will just decide not to produce the
next batch and that will be it.

Allen