Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Apr 3 09:35:19 2006

A. Why do you photograph?

Since I was a child many sights have created within me some deep,
almost indescribable emotion to which I wanted to respond. Art was
never respected in my family, or perhaps paid attention to and I have
very poor fine motor control so sketching and painting are beyond my
practice.

When I was in junior high and high school I did some photography and,
looking back, I see that the essential part of my vision was very much
there at that time. Then, somehow, it was pushed away while I was in
the Navy and later there was a family. But always the longing and
sometimes, when the light was right, just standing and watching, tears
in my eyes and wanting somehow to capture what I was seeing, to make
it mine, to share it.

Ultimately it was "Sunday in the Park with George" that pushed me over
the edge into picking up a camera again, after working with video for
a few years (which I still do). When I feel it's all beyond me I can
still put on the recording and find inspiration and a joy in picking
up the camera again.

B. What's your primary subject matter?

What I love doing is environmental portraiture but all aspects of
photography are attractive. But I still have so much to learn about
composition and light and shadow that I hardly know where to begin. I
find that shooting digital gives me much more rapid feedback which
lets me improve and work within its confines (not so great really).

C. Why?

I find, however, that I live a relatively secluded life so I end up
doing landscapes, flowers, and wildlife who are far less likely to say
"bugger off" than a person would. But ultimately I feel the human
face, like the human voice, is the ultimate instrument.

I hope this meets your intent, B. D.

Adam Bridge

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Conil)
Message from johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching) ([Leica] Conil)