Subject: [Leica] Color Negative Films
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Apr 3 22:30:54 2006

Jeffery:  I shoot BW400CN at 200 or 250 outdoors.  And at 400 when I need
the speed. It really works. At 200 or 250, you get a bit more shadow
density/detail and less shadow noise in scanning.  If you really want to
shoot it at 400, a yellow-green filter brings the exposures down a
notch.  While BW400CN doesn't have quite the detail of medium format, it
almost feels like it.  Seriously.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/california/JoshTree35.htm

(This is probably T400CN, BW400's elder brother.  35/2 Summicron, probably
1/500 at f/8 with orange filter.  And a 40mph wind).

I've tended to standardize on 400 color and B&W C-41 neg film because it is
so flexible.  Back when Kodak Supra was readily available I compared Supra
100 and 400, and the 400 was so close to the 100 in quality, it didn't pay
to use the 100.  If I want a step up in quality, I go to straight to slide
film, Provia or E-100.

There's something a little more, uh, 'ow you say, velvety about BW400CN
than color neg film desaturated.  Anyway, it works for me.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Color Negative Films)