Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Apr 4 15:06:02 2006

Definitely you are confusing this place with Switzerland. I lived there
too, I know ;-)

Maybe a serious answer, though. I photograph because this is the one
creative activity I am reasonably good at. I like music but all my
attempts at learning to play an instrument were utter failures; I sing
well only when drunk, and even then opinion is strongly
divided--basically my dog and I are the only ones who like it. I am good
at writing but it is very unlikely that I will write the Next Great
Novel. But photography--yes, that I can do, and because of the nature of
the craft, I am able to not only combine it with a day job, but also to
really integrate it into my daily life. Those who have met me know that
I carry a camera with me at all times.

What I like to photograph is the life around me, broadly defined, as
should be obvious from my PAWs. I suppose my favorite genre is the urban
landscape--not in-your-face street photography like B.D. does on the
commuter train (I am too chicken for that) but certainly people are an
important element in most of my images.

So there, I did get serious :-)

Nathan