Subject: [Leica] images of strangers
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Wed Apr 5 06:19:18 2006

This is really interesting. Just what is the situation in the various
countries?

Nathan wrote:
It is true in most but not all countries. Specifically, I am pretty sure

that in France you have a presumption of privacy even in a public place.

I therefore believe that I have several illegal images on my site, see
e.g. http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_10alt8.jpg, but so far I
have not received any summons from French lawyers, and if I ever do,
then I have a French lawyer in my own family there ;-)

Nathan

Arche, Harvey wrote:
> I'm very relieved to learn about the photographer's status, shooting
in
> public places. Now I know all I need is chutzpah, and not a lawyer on
> retainer. I had gotten the impression that lawsuits in the 90's had
> altered the legal landscape (not in the 'patriots don't take pictures'

> sense) and that individuals had developed privacy priviledges on their

> likenesses as private persons, regardless of being in public places.
In

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] images of strangers)