Subject: [Leica] WWII veteran (OT Gear)
From: lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC)
Date: Thu Apr 6 09:26:47 2006

Ted - I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a picture. Seems
we have different criteria.

For me the subject matter has always come a very distant second to the
aesthetic. In the second picture, sure, we see the face - and I don't
mean to diminish the importance of that - and there is nice light. But
the face simply isn't interesting enough to hold my eye. Maybe if the
subject had some eye contact with the viewer, or we could see more of
his eyes... who knows. The fact is that it doesn't hold me.

However, in the first shot we have a simply outstanding composition.
The poise of the subject: focused, studying, waiting. The trees on the
horizon perfectly placed to offer us an objective for the subject's
focus, they also become the subject themselves of the
picture-within-a-picture that is the observation window.

And then there's that wonderful circle of light from his cuff, down his
arm to his collar and hat. And the line of his cheek. And the confident
grasp of his hand. It's a very good picture.

I hope this brief note answers your question. Do you think it's a bad
picture?

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter