Subject: [Leica] Alternate Whispering
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Apr 6 13:51:57 2006

At 04:12 PM 4/6/2006, you wrote:
>Definitely the original, Tina- But this is a classic example of why
>photographers shouldn't put captions on photos, except where required in
>newspapers and magazines. Again, I don't see whispering; I don't see
>religion; I don't see call to prayer- I see father and child. Yes, in a
>photo story this image may say every one of those things - but you're
>showing an individual image. Just put it up, and let it tell it's own story.
>;-)

When the photo is shown at the exhibit, it will be in the context of
rites of passage of the three religions.  It will be labeled so that
people will realize that this is part of a rite within the Muslim
religion.  How many people know that a Muslim father whispers the
call to prayer in his newborn baby's ear? Christian and Jewish rites
will also be photographed and explained.  BUT -The whole point is to
show that, in spite of individual differences within the three
religions, we are all more alike than we are different.  So the fact
that this just looks like any father and baby is good.  I want people
to look at the photos and say "That could be me"   But I also want
them to learn something.

In addition to showing that we have a lot in common, I'm hoping that
the exhibit will help educate people about the three
religions.  Therefore, there is a need for captions, labels,
artifacts, interviews with the families, etc.  When I captioned the
photos for the PESO, I had the same hope of questions and answers
about the Muslim religion leading to enlightenment.  I'm guilty of
having ulterior motives ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com