Subject: [Leica] Re: Rollei 40mm f2.8 Sonnar
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Thu Apr 6 18:55:53 2006

<<
I picked up a Rollei 40mm lens in LTM which arrived while I was out of town.
Haven't shot a roll with it yet but I see it is labled as 'Made in Germany'
(& not Japan). The build quality seems first rate (i.e. very Leica like). It
comes in a green box with a hard leather case and Leica M Mount adapter. The
lens includes a small built-in hood and front and rear lens cap.

I believe Rollei made the mistake of assuming that any lens built for Leica
cameras should sell for Leica prices.

I find a modern lens in LTM a big advantage as I can use it on my LTM
cameras. More to come when I get back a developed and scanned roll.>>

Greg,

If this is the same lens as mounted on the Rollei 35SE, it is excellent. The
Rollei tested as good as any
comparable Leica lens of its era and I can vouch for its picture taking
ability. On an extended trip to India my
expensive SLR perished due to heat and humidity and the Rollei 35SE saved
the day. The pictures were
indistinguishable from those taken by a camera that cost four times the
price. Its my favorite emergency film
camera.

Larry Z