Subject: [Leica] A few uploads
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Apr 7 08:54:54 2006

Dick:

Minimata was certainly one of the finest pursuits Smith made in his
turbulent life. Year back I met a few folks who both  knew him and had
worked with him. I was a staffer at a South Florida paper  when he died.
The morning I showed up and saw the notice on the wall was a sad day for
many. Yet his legacy can help direct many young folks still. Talk of
his"setting up" photographs misses the point of what communication of
his day was all about. Although he may well of put himself in the
position to capture what he new would happen, this is far from staging.
Look at Tomoko in her bath. How in the world could the look on that
womans face be staged?

Walt
-