Subject: [Leica] Jim Nichols' Observation
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Fri Apr 7 19:41:06 2006

Jim Nichole wrote:

Bob,

As a former saxophone player many years ago, I know that a sax is a hard
instrument to record, because the sound comes from various parts of the
instrument depending on where the notes fall in the two registers.  A
mike
attached to the bell of the horn just won't do it.  If the old mike
captures
the spatial output of the instrument, then it is a great choice,
regardless
of its retro appearance.  Great shot.  Incidentally, the profile of the
tenor player resembles a baritone sax player I played with in college.
History repeats itself.

Jim -

Regarding the miking of the whole sax, you're absolutely right , and
it's not just that different notes come out of different holes.  The
whole body vibrates, as you know, and we try to capture as much of that
as we can.

Actually, the same is true of miking electric guitar speakers cabinets.
  The way the sides of the wood cabinet vibrate is a really big part of
the sound, and sticking a mic in front of  just the speaker misses a
major dimensional element.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff) ([Leica] Jim Nichols' Observation - sax photo)