Subject: [Leica] Re: Touch typing keyboards
From: dcm at pobox.com (David C Mason)
Date: Mon Apr 10 16:19:14 2006

lrzeitlin@optonline.net writes:

> <<I've always wondered at how technology makes such huge leaps over
> amazing distances and forgets the
> toothbrush. Computer keyboards are another example of a high level of
> ergonomics at the brochure level.
> Thirty years ago, IBM keypunch machines had a feature that is now lost -
> the "F" and "J homekeys were
> dished in deeper than the other keys. When PC keyboards came out, my
> fingers were lost, and I did not
> know why. Looking carefully at the old keyboards, I discovered that
> without conscious effort, my fingers
> naturally fell into the home keys. Why would such a useful feature
> completely disappear from all modern
> keyboards?>>
>
> Gary,
>
> Apple computer keyboards have little pips on the home keys. Obviously some
> people at Apple still touch type.
> Stangely enough, the newer keyboards for the PPC and MacIntels have the
> pips on the F and J keys, while
> the older keyboards have the pips on the D and K keys.

I just miss the amazing racket old IBM "clicky" keyboards used to make -
I loved those things - you knew what your fingers were doing.

--

- Dave

Freedom and dignity spring from within the human heart...And inside
the human heart is where the impetus for political change must be
generated.    - Wesley Clark