Subject: [Leica] Why we photograph, artists who photograph, and HCB - golden mean
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Tue Apr 11 16:54:38 2006

Bob,

In looking at many of HCB's photos in the documentary, I detected that HCB
seemed to be looking for angles (one part of the documentary had HCB talking
constantly of "geometry"). The placement of subjects seemed to be invariably
on one side of an angle as I have collected here:

http://www.400tx.com/HCB.html

Even if these images aren't compellingly "golden mean" (I couldn't find
little thumbnails of all of the examples they showed in the film), HCB
almost never places his subjects in the center of the frame, and when he
doesn't have an obvious diagonal, he often has a rule of thirds composition.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com