Subject: [Leica] Why we photograph, artists who photograph, and HCB - golden mean
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Wed Apr 12 11:40:26 2006

Perhaps I should rephrase that? How can it be assumed HCB was either
responsible for being a colonialist or irresponsible for not repudiating
it. There are times when one's gifts (if we have them) transcend the day
to day issues that may be extant. If HCB's work doesn't indicate a
certain humanism to those who see it I'd question that person's
background and world view, not Cartier-Bresson's.

In addition, claiming photojournalism was created to reinforce a
European hegemony Is just too French an attitude for anyone to sincerely
advocate. Now you might understand my remarks about wasting time
socializing on assignments. Inculcation, my dear Watson, inculcation.

Walt