Subject: [Leica] One colourful - One not
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Wed Apr 12 17:21:34 2006

Hi Arche.  It's taken a couple of years of sitting near a rock in the
forest that has a natural puddle in it.  I fill it with water when
I'm there.  The birds seem to have come to know me, as some of the
smaller ones line up in the surrounding trees while I'm setting up my
gear.  Then I pour some water into the puddle and the action
starts.  :-D   Only two weeks ago did the Rosellas finally get up the
gumption to come and sit on the rock.  They've been up in the tree
watching the other birds for a few weeks.  The Currawong saw the
Rosellas drinking and came right up.  My heart-rate went through the
roof.  There's a goshawk in the area - I see him chasing the others
most weekends - so I wonder if he'll come by.  I've learnt a bit
about inter-species dynamics from sitting in this place so many
times, for so many hours.

It's a magical place I've found.  Prints from this rock-puddle are
hanging in the visitors centre at the entrance to the National Park -
the rangers tell me that folks like the cuteness of the shots - birds
in a natural puddle.  Last Sunday I switched to the 280/2.8 to try
for a whole body shot of the Rosellas, but the Goshawk had chased
them off.  I'm thankful that these birds put their lives on the line
to let me get a photo of them.  :-)

Rick.