Subject: [Leica] wiping wet negs
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT)
Date: Sun Apr 16 14:32:04 2006

Hi Arche,
Piece of cake mon ami, like this is from 50 years experience processing with
no scratches, crud, sludge etc,

FIRST OF ALL IMMEDIATELY STOP WIPING THE NEGATIVES WITH ANYTHING!! PERIOD!
fINGER SKIN, CHAMOIS NOTHING IS FIT TO WIPE WET NEGATIVES AND I DON'T CARE
WHAT ANYONE ELSE TELLS YOU! DON'T BLOODY WELL DO IT!

Before you remove film from reels do your normal dunk into Fotoflo, then
immediately one quick dunk into clean water and out. Then holding reel
firmly in the right hand between centre finger and thumb and snap your
hand/wrist firmly toward the floor. Make sure you hold the reel firmly, do
this several times and any water/fotoflo liquid will be gone.Or should be,if
you see any excess liquid do the flick the wrist a few more times.

Remove film from reel and hang to dry with weight on the down end.

If you've done the above routine correctly you'll have absolutely clean
negatives.
If there's sludge or other crud on the film after this routine you better
start straining your chemicals and water before use. Also make sure you use
very hot water washing your reels and tank immediately after use.

ted