Subject: [Leica] Jeffery PAW - Week 15 - Another lesson from HCB
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu Apr 20 20:08:00 2006

Last year, I picked up a Nikon S3 commemorative set on ebay. I mostly wanted
the 50/1.4 lens as the new Summilux 50/1.4 asph cost twice as much as I paid
for the Nikon body + lens. The new 50/1.4 Nikkor is *astonishingly good*. If
Nikon wanted to put the squeeze on Leica, Voigtlander, and Zeiss Ikon, it
could probably do it with some sort of commitment to chase the RF market
these days. And they would upset the balance badly by simply offering the
50/1.4 in M mount for a reasonable price. After all, Zeiss Ikon offered no
fast lenses in M mount. But I digress.....

HCB's documentary mentions that he took portraits by simply sitting and
talking with the person and then POW! He snaps the shot. I can only really
do that with cigarette smokers who are banished from our buildings and must
take refuge outside. The subject here, Tim Baker, is a very gifted actor and
director who could make it big in New York or Los Angeles but chooses to
share his talent with our students. I don't know if he was being natural
here or if he was acting, but I don't like portraits with smiles, so this
one worked for me.

http://www.400tx.com/2006-15.html

Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Jeffery Smith