Subject: [Leica] Re:Bye Bye Mamiya
From: allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves)
Date: Sun Apr 23 11:11:45 2006

The shutter lag on my Nikon D200 seems less than that on my F4.
Probably related to much better autofocus  speed. It's nothing like
an M6, but then no SLR is. It's also much more reasonably sized  than
an F4 or D2X.

In my limited experience with Canon, they are also as responsive as a film
SLR.

I don't wish for more than the 10 megapixels I have in the D200 and
can't imagine that I will need more in the next few years

As much as I love to use my Leicas, I understand B.D.'s comments
about the demise of film as a major force in photography in the
relatively near future. I am a serious but purely amateur
photographer as I take pictures only for pleasure, not for money.
Though I have always tried to shrug off the cost of film and
processing, it does mount up. Digital allows you to take an almost
unlimited number of shots for no ADDED cost - the entry cost is high,
though it is falling- and handling a large number of images is quite
easy. I have shot the equivalent of several hundred rolls of film
since I bought the camera in December and on paper have probably
almost recouped the cost of the camera, and had a lot of fun. Like
Kyle always says, keep pushing the shutter, sooner or later it will
come unstuck.
      One problem with digital is that you can do so much with an
image that you may feel the need to tweak every image that you shoot.
I never did this with film, confining my work to the images only that
were really worthwhile. I had to learn to limit myself with digital
or it would have driven me crazy.

I don't see myself completely giving up film anytime soon, but I sure
do shoot a lot less of it.

Allen