Subject: [Leica] Dreary day in Berlin
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Apr 25 10:20:08 2006

Hello Philippe,
I think we'll have to organise a Euro-Luggers weekend in Berlin some day.
It really shouldn't be left out , there's stuff in there from cultures
you've probably never even heard of, a couple of other museums have now
been renovated and are reopened, but still, parts of the Museumsinsel
still looks as if the Soviet troops have only just left, bulletholes
everywhere.
There's a great flea market there too, and the Berliner Dom can't be
missed, really- it's enormous.
The photo doesn't really do the temple justice, you walk into the room
and you are immediately completely overwhelmed at the size of it, which
is unfortunate because that museum is full of other fascinating booty
form those colonial pirates,smugglers, pillagers, hunters and gatherers
who called themselves Archaeologists or Egyptologists.
Berlin now has a flair all of its own, totally unlike Paris or London,
friendly, laid-back  and mostly without the high capital city prices
you'd expect in restaurants and cafes. Public transport is fantastic,
the best being the S-Bahn, on raised tracks through most of the city,
buses are ok, but, as in just about any other big city, you have no idea
of either the routes or what's on the destination boards, though buying
a day ticket and just jumping on the next bus is fun.

By the way thanks to everyone who took a look so far, there's some more
in the pipeline when I get around to it.
regards to all
Douglas