Subject: [Leica] Chernobyl Legacy
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Apr 25 20:46:39 2006

At 10:43 PM 4/25/06 -0400, Walt Johnson wrote:
>Marc:
>
>For all their inept engineering ability the Russians did manage to beat
>us into space. They  were lucky to steal more Nazi scientists than we did.

Walt

That is both a cheap shot and untrue.  The Soviets had a really sound
scientific base and the history of science is replete with fine Russian
names indicating the depth of their capacity -- one of the finest of late
Tsarist composers, for instance, was also a world-class chemist.  And
Soviet engineering was not inept, either.  The problem with the Soviets was
a horrid economic system which allowed very little capitalization for the
exploitation of scientific advances.

Of the German scientists and engineers who chose to leave Germany, and many
did not, the US obtained the services of approximately 2/3 of them under
OPERATION PAPERCLIP, and the British got most of the rest -- the British
managed to score all of the German atomic scientists save for two or three
who fell into the hands of the Soviets, while the US got most of the
rocketry engineers.  In the end, very few went East save for a few who were
dedicated Communists or who were junior enough to recognize that they would
do better in the Soviet Union than in the West.  And, of course, the West
got all of the senior optical scientists from Carl Zeiss Jena save for
Ernst Wandersleb, and that issue is a bit complex:  Wandersleb had been
removed by the Nazis from Zeiss as his wife was Jewish.  After the end of
the War -- and, yes, she survived, thanks to the head of Zeiss, Heinz
K?ppenbender, and the intervention at his request of Speer -- the two Zeiss
entities offered him employment and a full pension as he chose, and he
elected to remain at Jena, and retired in 1957.  (Wandersleb had served as
the chief assistant to Rudolph in the development of the Tessar, later
reworked it to allow it to be widened to f/2.8, then developed the Biotar
design and, finally, instructed his own chief assistant, Hans Sauer, to
recompute Rudolph's six-element Planar in light of lens coatings, leading
to the genesis of today's bevy of Planar five-element designs.)

So, no, the Soviets did quite a bit on their own, and the US got the lion's
share of German scientists.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!