Subject: [Leica] A close call to be sure
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon May 1 08:05:16 2006

If I lived in an area where there was lots of lightning, or where the
a/c load was often lost by the power company, I'd us a UPS but I'd use
a motor-generator to isolate the a/c into the UPS from the power
company's mains. As it stands most UPS units when subjected to a huge
over-voltage will still let that pass through so you're left with
almost the same protection as if you didn't have a UPS in the firts
place - just the surge-suppressor function. And, again, most surge
suppressors are challenged by the intense overloads that lightning can
add to the mains. The mechanical isolation of a motor-generator can
make a huge difference.

THEN make sure that all the devices that are plugged into your
computer are plugged into the MG-set's protected power - otherwise the
energy can come in from peripherals.

Here in California there's not a lot of lightning - at least not in
the Central Valley - and our main source of power interruption comes
from wind-related issues. But if I lived along the Gulf Coast or in
the tornado allys, I'd go that route.

Adam