Subject: [Leica] stand-alone DNG storage
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri May 5 12:04:28 2006

At 05/05/2006, you wrote:

>At 01:25 PM 5/4/2006, you wrote:
>>I'll be away from A/C power for 10 days in June and I'm considering
>>my options for storing and backing up my DMR files.  I'll have
>>12-volt power available for re-charging the DMR's batteries, and no
>>laptop computer.  What are the options for 12-volt or
>>battery-powered backups?  Could be CD burners, hard drives,
>>whatever.  All suggestions are welcome.
>>

>>Doug Herr
>

>Doug -  The Epson P2000 and now P4000 have lithium batteries that
>last a week or more of constant use.  I took one to Honduras for 10
>days and carried a spare battery just in case, but I never needed
>the spare.  The big screen is really nice and I used it a lot
>showing kids their photos.  It downloads quickly.  The P2000 holds
>40GB and the P4000 holds 80GB.
>
>Hope this helps.  Where are you going without power?
>
>Tina

Hi Tina!

I have the P-2000 and it's great!  But, FWIW, it will not display
files larger than 17mb in any format (Leica DMR files are 19mb ea.)
and it does not recognize the .dng file format.  I keep hoping for an
update to cover these two 'flaws' in what I consider to be an
otherwise perfect machine.  (Still, it does save and regurgitate the
.dng files just fine!  Just no display of them!)

Also, I took mine to Costa Rica for 3.5 weeks, and had to recharge it
from the mains, several times.  (I had only one battery!)

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA