Subject: [Leica] stand-alone DNG storage
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Fri May 5 17:00:02 2006

Doug:

> I'll be away from A/C power for 10 days in June and I'm considering my
> options for storing and backing up my DMR files.

Since it's only Alaska, and you won't be upset if you lose images, you can
trust them to a hard drive that you'll be bumping and taking along with you.

If it were me, and I wanted to minimize the chance of losing
once-in-a-lifetime pictures, I'd spend my money on more compact flash cards.
Odds of losing an image off solid state memory are a lot smaller than the
odds of losing data from a magnetic hard drive.

If you're just looking for backup, the hard drive isn't a bad option.  But
if you're wanting to move the images from your cards and reshoot on those
same cards, I'd have trouble sleeping, myself.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/