Subject: The state of PJ Today - was: BD's Re: [Leica] So for... -
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun May 7 17:33:54 2006

And there's nothing new, Tina, about the fact that photographers - and
reporters - are not paid extra for the work they do as paid employees when
that work is reused. Yes, there's a lot of work out there for which people
don't get paid - there always has been. Do you think that Eugene Richards
makes squat doing his documentary work? If you do, you're living in fantasy
land; he makes his money doing advertising work and other commissioned work
to support his real work - same with almost any documentary photographer you
can name, and it's essentially always been that way. The thing that has
definitely changed is that there are far, far fewer staff photo jobs these
days, particularly at magazines. But many papers do have slide shows, photo
galleries, displaying work - and in the past that outlet didn't exist. A
photographer could bust her hump on a story, over a period of months, and
end up with, if she was really lucky, a half-dozen photos in the paper. Now
she can have those photos in the paper, and have a gallery, perhaps with
sound, on line.

Being a photographer - if we're talking about freelancers - has always been
a really tough way to make a living, and teaching, or having some other way
to supplement the photo income has always been a smart idea.