Subject: [Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Thu May 11 14:00:43 2006

Mark Langer wrote:

Or the Nikkor 50mm f1.4, although with that lens you are getting into
the Summicron price range.

I think Mark had in mind the LTM version of this lens, not the SLR.
Those old Nikkors do go for prices that approach those of DR's and 1st
gen rigid 'crons.

I said I have 2 DR's; one I got 25 year's ago; the other I bought a year
and a half ago on the bay for about $200, no eyes. I sent it to Jon Van
Stelton for a recoat/clean, so for under $500 I got a like-new lens. For
an all-around 50 I really think a DR in good shape is the best
combination of all the qualities, especially if you throw in cost and
close-focus.

Cheers,

Arche