Subject: [Leica] Grossly OT: The Avengers!
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 11 16:36:55 2006

At 05:02 PM 5/11/06 -0500, Bryan Caldwell wrote:
>>>And what was the origin of the name, "Emma Peel"?  None of your folks will
>know, I suspect, but I thought I'd ask.  It's very sixtiers and rather
stupid.<<

>M(as in "male" or "masculine") Appeal. When the role was created it was
decided that more of the above was needed.

>Bryan

You are close but you leave out the two prior Honor Blackmn seasons.  Once
she walked out to become Pussy Galaore in a Bond Flick, these British dudes
were at a loss.  And, yes, they were looking for Man-Appeal, and his became
"M-Appeal" and, well, Emma Peel is an obvious answer.

Blackmun was okay but Rigg was just really cool.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!