Subject: [Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Fri May 12 00:15:30 2006

Marc,
there is no doubt that boke is subjective - though
Canon have published an objective way of evaluating it
which certainly is in line with my small experience.
Any photographer who does not use full aperture often
will rarely have cause to be concerned but
particularly portrait photographers using full
aperture will frequently have work where the vast
majority of the picture area is out of focus. In this
case ugly rendition of the OOF areas, particularly
highlights stands out horribly. I would be surprised
and disappointed if photographers on this list were
uninterested in it because there is no standard
measurement procedure to evaluate it. Photographers of
an artistic frame of mind would surely be more
interested by the look of their pictures than any
theoretical parameter whatever?
Frank