Subject: [Leica] 75-90mm lenses - Opinions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri May 12 21:02:32 2006

I just got this crazy idea in my head in the 75mm department and maybe more
generally not sure how smart it is that the old 1.4 look vs. new AA
Summicron would have an analogy to film itself over the last decades.
The tab grain films vs. the pre tab real films;
Which have round full mountain grown grain.
The new AA Summicron would be like the new tab grain films.
Just ridiculously sharp imaging amazingly. A cutting edge grade higher than
what we're used to in the pre 80's.
Like the genetically mutated tab grain films with "smart grain".
The older "real" stuff not ridiculously sharp and imaging smoothly but not
knocking your socks off in the grain, separation and sharpness department. A
slight nostalgia quotient but nothing you'd see all that much in a smaller
than 11x14 print or 13x19 spit out and certainly not 768 pixels across on
your monitor.
But I don't go along with or as far as the idea many have or semantically
using the word "harsh" for the ASPH's.
I think "harsh" too harsh a word.
I think the Bokeh is different not "worse". The old glass having Bokeh maybe
even too smooth. There is such a thing as just being a little too smooth.
Anyway I just love convex lenses they are too cool.
Kind of hate to put filters on them.
And ACROS 100 in the better soups.
It's relentless. And not boring.
Kind of like a 35 1.4 ASPH.
And all the AA's at sea.
Using them is like giving your photography over to a higher power.

Mark Rabiner

Brought to you today from the "Motel 6 Wireless Network"
around the Bend area in Oregon

Photographer Mark Rabiner
Cellphone: 503.515.5565
Residence: 1995 Airstream 190 Ford Camper Van which is...
On the Road
Travels with Marky
www.rabinergroup.com
mark@rabinergroup.com