Subject: [Leica] 50 summ shade
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Sat May 13 06:57:09 2006

Roy:

I used to have an E type Nikon 70-210 zoom lens with a similar problem.
  It wasn't a sliding shade, instead it was that the "zoomer" would
slide up or down as I pointed the lens in those directions. Nikon folks
called it zoom creep.

I mitigated it, (not a permanent solution) by putting a strip of shiny
black electrician's tape, (aka black tape?) along the length of the
bottom of barrel of the lens so that the zoomer part would have a little
more friction.

It worked fine as long as I had the lens, and was far cheaper than
having it fixed. The man who has it now remains happy with the "fix".

I just now took a look at my Summilux and think that you might be able
to put a short strip, (1/2 inch) on the smooth part which is revealed
when you have the shade in the "out" position.  If that's too thick,
then try a piece of that translucent tape, I thinks it's called "magic
mending tape".

Jim