Subject: [Leica] Re: Privacy
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Thu May 18 09:33:57 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Chris Saganich wrote:

> One must remember that privacy is a class issue, meaning it can be
> bought, or fought for, but isn't given for free.

Chris,

I think we are talking about a different kind of "privacy."  The
point George made, and I followed up on, is that in some cultures
there is a marked lack of what I would call "prurient" interest in
the doings of those around you in public spaces, under certainly
clearly understood circumstances.

In addition to the village life I mentioned, I could also cite my
several years on Okinawa, where I participated in the neighborhood
public bath house on a regular basis.  I had to learn how to be self-
effacing in order not to offend my bathmates, AND not to lose face.

This is not the same thing as what we usually mean by "privacy," at
least not here in the USA.

Ken
-----------------------------------
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier
Connecticut Conference, United Church of Christ
Current Leica Photography (PESO):
http://tinyurl.com/6sc2r

Current Medium Format Photos:
http://tinyurl.com/bjvfn