Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 95
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 18 15:19:09 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 12:48 PM, Chris wrote:

> One must remember that privacy is a class issue, meaning it can be
> bought,
> or fought for, but isn't given for free.

Sometimes it isn't even a considered desirable aspect of the social
structure. Remember that Louis XIV charged commoners to see him going
to the potty. From which comes the term "throne" when talking about a
toilet. On a more personal note, we live in a semi rural wooded area in
upState NY. You can't see any neighbor's house from our place and there
is no man made noise except for occasional airplanes flying overhead.
Visitors from New York City become very nervous at the isolation and
the absence of reassuring city noise adds to their anxiety. When we had
guests from India (New Delhi), the anxiety verged on the pathological.
"Where are all the people?" It was only when we took them to New York's
Wall Street area at lunchtime that they calmed down.

Larry Z