Subject: [Leica] Sepia Conversion
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon May 22 16:13:56 2006

Hallo Peter,
at least I think I'm getting a little closer, on semi-matte or matte
paper (Epson Heavyweight/ HP 7960)  it looks very close.but the "creamy
effect of the light is not quite right yet.
Luis mentioned that an orthographic approach is probably a better line
of attack,  this may possibly be more like the profile of plates.
The conversion was done without Photoshop (I usually use CS2 or PSE 3.0)
in a stand-alone called Pure Image. The shot I took the profile from was
one
of a group of women standing close to what is now Endeavour Wharf, with
Church street and St Mary's in the background across the harbour. Maybe
one of his shots from Golden Vale or Mulgrave woods would be more
appropriate for a profile with foliage tones.
What struck me at first was that the picture itself does, quite
unintentionally, have a somewhat Sutcliffe like subject.
I'll pick up on your suggestion of shooting some on-location shots when
we are over there in july-august (we'll be in Bram Stokers house on
Royal Crescent again this year, most of the decent cottages were already
booked out in October of last year). The chap running the gallery made a
book of old-new comparison views a couple of years ago, but, to be quite
honest, it didn't do much for me at all.
cheers
Douglas
BTW, did you know that Whitby station is now being served by the NYMR?
Steam on 4 or 5 days a week,both to Grosmont and up the Esk Valley
as far as Battersby. Rumour has it that the overhauled "streak", Sir
Nigel Gresley,  will be back this year too.