Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax IIa shutter
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed May 31 11:07:21 2006

In rereading my intemperate reply to MSmall, I realized that I erred
in the description of the Contax IIa shutter. Tapes are still used to
hold the aluminum slats in alignment but they do not participate in
the determination of shutter speed. A bit of stretching doesn't seem
to be much of a problem. I was also sent an eMail off list telling me
that Cameraquest still repairs Contax IIa and IIIa cameras but not
the older models. I was informed that the price of a CLA is $175.
That's not too bad. I had 2 old M3s CLAd by Sherry Krauter for about
$400 several years ago. Unfortunately, since I converted almost fully
to digital, all these lovely cameras are wrapped in Ziplock cocoons
and resting in my storage drawer. I would sell the neighbor's
firstborn for an affordable digital camera (i.e. under $1000) which
could mount M lenses. Even if it was made in China.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re: Contax IIa shutter)