Subject: ([Leica] RE: first PAW colour desaturation) sRGB
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jun 5 18:34:59 2006

Thanks Tina. Some e-mail problems at this end and just read your reply in
the archive.

It's exactly your experience of what works that's most valuable.

eMpirical knowledge!

I have a better understanding now regarding sRGB, being the default (and
monitor) standard. Was also surprised to find that AdobeRGB 1998 is in fact
only marginally larger gamut than sRGB. So standardizing, if web output was
my primary aim, certainly makes sense.

Just checked out my own posts and found that mine were all over the place re
bit depth, profile and colour space. Time to tidy up my act. I note also
that my (and yours?) Nikon scanner applies its own version of Adobe RGB 1998
when I save scans as that colour space. Just what you need is another
variable.

And I thought I had this workflow nailed down and controlled. Still, for my
primary output (inkjet prints) I've got it skun.

My knowledge quest continues and I had heard that the real world color
management title was an authority.

Looks like I'll have to delay my purchase of the oh so tasteful Ralph Gibson
signature model while I buy some more text books

Cheers

Hoppy.

At 06:48 PM 6/2/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Bradley and Tina
>I have a request regarding your suggestion, Tina.
>
>Would you expand on the rationale of your suggestion to convert to sRGB
>colour space before conversion to jpg?
>
>Hoppy

My advice is just based on my experience, Hoppy.  I was having
trouble with color balance on photos I posted on pbase and someone on
the this most helpful of lists suggested that maybe I was assigning
the color profile instead of actually converting it.  I started
converting to sRGB and haven't had any problems since then.  If you
are into reading big, heavy books on Photoshop, Real World Color
Management has a good section on assigning and embedding profiles and
when to convert.  And if you really want to get confused, you can
also read Dan Margulis' book on Color Management for
Photographers.  ;-)   The two books give almost opposite advice so
you just have to try and see what works for you.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com