Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: schneiderpix at mac.com (Robert Schneider)
Date: Wed Jun 7 07:27:30 2006

It's more than just currently available glass that can be coded.
Leica's release states:

Discontinued lenses that can be updated:

Besides those presently available, even lenses that were discontinued
quite a while ago can
be updated (see list below). Since Leica Camera AG regards system
compatibility as a vital
virtue, many lenses introduced as long ago as 1963 can be updated.
-------

This is followed by a list that does include the 135 Elmarit of 1963,
but it's mostly 1970s and later production, starting with the model 2
"Wetzlar" 50 Summicron.

The puzzle for me is what kind of "optimization" they'll actually
produce in camera, other than recording focal length and max aperture
for EXIF data.  Since most serious M8 users will be shooting RAW
(won't they?), any in-camera magic is rendered moot in the RAW file.
Perhaps there will be embedded coding that will be picked up by
Leica's RAW converter, but if it's like most camera manufacturers
software (weak) it will be quickly abandoned (or ignored completely)
by those with established workflows in Adobe Camera Raw, Capture 1, etc.

The Leica release also says:

On account of their legendary quality, nearly all Leica M lenses are
ideal for digital use. However, the new 6-bit coding also uses the
performance reserves in the image processing of the camera to give
our customers the excellent image result they expect from Leica,?
says Rainer B?ltert, product manager for the M system at Leica Camera
AG.
-------

So, which is it, the lenses are "ideal for digital use" or their
images need special processing?  If the M8 is only using the "sweet
spot" of this expensive glass by relying on a 1.33 crop factor, what
kind of processing is necessary?  Canon's L glass performs extremely
well on the 1.3X cameras (1d, 1dMkII).  Leica R lenses do a heck of a
job as well on both Canon 1.3X cameras and on the DMR (1.37X).  But M
lenses will need a tweak?  Is this a factor of the closeness of the
rear elements to the sensor plane, or is it just some extra verbiage
to encourage customers to spend $125 a lens to record EXIF data?  I'm
sure all the codes will be figured out within days of the release of
the M8, then $2 stickers will soon be available to "code your own."

The full Leica release is here:

http://www.leica-camera.com/imperia/md/content/pdf/objektive/18.pdf

rs

www.robertschneider.com